Dan vs the World

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Dude, I’m just like Link!

So while adventuring across Tokyo with my brother, we ventured into this music shop in Akihabara, Tokyo’s electronic discount area. While perusing through the rather large musical instrument area we stumbled across a section devoted to of Ocarinas. Sweet! This is the instrument Link plays in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. So we picked up a couple. This is my “Night Ocarina”


Night Ocarina 


So I’m learning to play it. Some of the fingerings are a little strange but for the most part, it is remarkably like a recorder. Unfortunately, I don’t have my N64 in Japan, so I have not figured out how to play all of Link’s cool songs yet… but I will… oh, yes….. I will.

See this?




This is going to be me in about 3 months when I get home and learn the kick ass songs….


I know, I know, this is the saddest thing you’ve read in a very…. VERY long time. I’m a nerd, what can I say.

And, to increase my nerd-dom even further, let me present this!


Coconut Rock 

This is a rock on the coast not to far from my apartment here in Japan. On it you can see an ancient Japanese tune… I believe it is a famous Japanese song about coconuts (no, it's not “I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts”…. nerd!). Anyway, since Zelda is a Japanese game, and many things about Japan can be learned through their video games, I figure that I’ll take my ocarina to this stone and play the magic melody. I assume that once I do this, a melodic chiming will sound out of no where (do-be-da do-be-da), and a secret stair case will suddenly appear. Once I descend, I assume I’ll find some sort of magic sword and a quest to save some beautiful maiden in distress. Once I over come many violent, but aimlessly wandering, agents of the dark power, I will meet some sort of Dark Lord, overcome his immensely powerful magic and cunning by using nothing but my ocarina, my sword, a shield--which I’ll buy for 50 rubies--and a stock of magic potions that instantly heal any injury that I might obtain. (I just hope the Dark Lord does learn about these potions… then I’d be screwed!) Anywho, after vanquishing my foes, the Lovely young Maiden will fall desperately in love with me, and we’ll live happily ever after.... (I just hope she speaks English….. or at least comes with subtitles)

Yeah, it's either I find the secret passage, or..... I get turned into a coconut. That would suck, I'd be like "Damn.... I'm a coconut..... this sucks."

Ok, now if you want to smack me, I understand, just remember that I’m very far away from you and you can't reach me, so I can get away with posting crap like this….. so…. HAHA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home